Thursday, October 14, 2010

PSU Graphics and Imaging Technologies promotional notepad

For project one, my original idea didn't work out, so I chose to use the catchy slogan, "intelligent by design,"  as the basis for a revision. I used symmetrical balance in framing the white "writing space" with a photo of blueprints and a compass. The compass, itself, acted as a frame within the frame of the document. The typeface is clean, uncluttered, neutral and businesslike, which makes it an ideal choice for this design. It doesn't compete with the photo frame for the viewer's attention. Also, the use of Helvetica throughout the design helps unify it through the principle of repetition.

Word matrix
     
     I deliberately decided to place the compass and the white writing area close to each other. The close proximity of the compass in the photo to the white frame makes it appear as if the white area isn't just an interrupting element in the design. Also, the white lettering that rests directly on the white frame uses proximity to give the illusion that the text is sprouting from the frame, as though it is an integrated part of it.

Thumbnail


     The next most important element I chose to emphasize was white space. Though the general conception of a notepad is that it should have some sort of structured lines, I wanted the user to feel as though they had plenty of room to create, scribble and draw--not feet cramped by the design on the page.

Rough


     Overall, through the use of simple typography and few design elements, I wanted to convey to the user that it was okay to scribble all over the notepad and not worry about "messing up" the design. I wanted every element that I added to be unobtrusive to the user, yet pleasing to the eye.

Finished product!


     I attempted to reach my audience of high school students with the idea in mind that most of them would be planning for college--setting up a sort of "blueprint" for their lives. The slogan "intelligent by design" was intended to make students feel intelligent by just picking up the notepad! Because so many high school students aren't really sure what direction they want to go in life, I wanted my design to convey a sort of confidence that there is a successful plan for the future, and that future involves an education in graphic design at PSU.



2 comments:

  1. Really promotional note pads are great item for branding a business.


    Promotional Products

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great these technology are really nice and good for branding a business.

    Personalized Keychains

    ReplyDelete